Chef: Brenton Mowforth
The gingerbread syrup I made with the Sous vide machine is what brings this holiday story to life, and the sherry binds all the ingredients together for a wonderful balance. The rum used in this cocktail is similar to how molasses is used to make gingerbread cookies.
Ingredients for 1
For the Gingerbread Syrup
- 250ml (1 cup) 1:1 brown sugar simple syrup
- 45g (about cup) peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
For the Cocktail
- 2 fluid ounces of dark rum
- 1 fluid ounce of fresh lime juice
- 1 fluid ounce Gingerbread Syrup (from above)
- ½ fluid ounce Amontillado sherry
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- 3 to 6 dashes Miraculous Foamer or other egg-free foaming liquid
- Paychaud’s bitters, for garnish
Make the syrup: Attach the BioloMix Sous vide Cooker to a vessel of water and set the temperature to 152°F (67°C).
Combine the simple syrup, ginger, and cinnamon sticks in a chamber vacuum pouch and seal using the normal vacuum and normal seal in the Anova Precision Chamber Vacuum Sealer. Transfer to the water bath and cook for 2 hours.
Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a storage container. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Make the cocktail: Combine the rum, lime juice, gingerbread syrup, sherry, bitters, and foamer in a cocktail shaker. Dry shake until the mixture is agitated and bubbly, at least 30 seconds. Fill the shaker with ice and shake again until chilled, about 30 seconds. Pour into a coupe glass and garnish with a spritz of Paychaud’s bitters. Serve immediately.