Christina Wylie, Koh Samui Thailand
Christina Wylie is an award-winning writer, author, editor, food stylist, recipe creator, entrepreneur and radio host whose work has been featured in The Times & The Sunday Times, Time Out (Melbourne, Sydney, Hong Kong and Dubai), Traveler’s Digest, Fah Thai Magazine, …
Saffron pears are a great spin on your traditional poached pear recipe. The saffron adds a burst of colour and depth of flavor. Traditionally, a poached pear recipe calls for poaching in a pot on the stove, but then you have to monitor and watch closely. Cooking sous vide means you can set and forget, knowing that you have a great dessert when you come back.TIP: It’s fantastic served with ice cream.
Ingredients for 4
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and halved
- ½ tsp (3 mL) saffron
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half, then sliced lengthways down the centre
- 1/3 cup (118 mL) white wine
- Step 1Combine all ingredients and put in a bag, seal and cook sous vide for 1 hour at 181.4 F (83 C).
- To serve…
- Step 0Serve the pears with a few spoons of the liquid in the bag.